Tuesday 8 April 2014

How Presentable Is Your Profile Picture

An egg profile picture
I remember one time, I almost deleted all my social media accounts due to some awkward pictures, explicit comments, offensive videos and so on. I'm the kind of person who is sensitive regarding the use of computers and smartphones.

You cannot please everybody. Everyone should be aware about their online behaviour. The internet is a worldwide community. It means that you expect different kinds of people. Young users, critics, nerds, actors, idiots, executives, twitter enthusiasts and a lot more. We share in only one digital world. What you do affects the young and innocent ones which can become viral. Something that can turn into a disaster.  We know what is right and wrong. The best thing is, certainly, think before you click.

So, what should a profile picture look like? Well, I think there is no proper guidelines or law about that. It depends on the product you want to sell to your audience. It can be just a logo or anything that closely describes your business or company.  The thing is, as long as it is presentable not weird. Preferably a clear close-up and hands down. Just enough to notice your face in a quick glance. If you don't have any idea, imagine you are applying for work or passport. The photo you used there is your profile picture. Think about your good reputation. It adds to your self-worth.

I have stolen some profile photos through my phone's screenshot capability. You do your own opinion. If you see your photo here, let me know if you want it to be removed. Let's have a look.

It's the right size of profile picture but not the hairdo. She doesn't seem to care about her hair or might be so much focused on blogging that made her forget to look in front of the mirror. That's not an excuse either.


I'm not particular with mens fashion this year 2014. I don't know what to say about the huge necklace. Do your own opinion. I understand that men wear earrings but not girly necklaces. Anyway, this photo makes me smile.


He is looking at someting or maybe a stolen shot. Does anyone knows what sign is that, A hand on the side of his lower cheek? This profile photo should deserve a replacement. Just a photo of the face and no hands.


I'm one among his 253,000+ followers. This one is attention grabbing. Looks like a selfie inside a shopping mall. He looks good but I think he looks better with closed lips. I think we all need a phone with self-timer function mounted on a tripod.


This gentleman looks great but it seems like he has a headache or something. Hands down handsome. I think selfie is the culprit for all the unwanted photos or shall I say not so pleasing pictures. 


I guess this cannot be a profile picture. A profile is a brief description about something specifically the face. Not rings and helmets. Meticulously, I think profile it's not the right place to show our love for outdoors or passion for sports

Just a reminder, your profile picture reflects your personality. It gives us a clue about your unseen attitude. If you want respect, show a respectable photo (must be something descent). If you want to exude professionalism, you should dress professionally. If you wanna look funny, then, let it be. You are responsible for everything you post online. We come from different place, religion, learnings, race, and so on. Let us be sensitive and with that, I think we need some kind of a little adjustment. Just a pleasing profile picture if it's possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment